今天，我们来讲关于[the mother duck 鸭子妈妈]、[the old duck 老鸭子]、还有刚刚孵化出来的[an ugly duckling 丑小鸭]的故事。
时间：a sunny day 一个晴天，地点：in the duck nest 在鸭子窝里。鸭妈妈决定还是多花几天时间，把最大的蛋孵化出来。
《THE UGLY DUCKLING》
- “Well, how are you getting on 嘿，你还好吗?”
- asked an old duck 一只老鸭子问鸭妈妈, who paid her a visit 她来看她.
- “One egg is not hatched yet 有一个蛋现在还没孵出来,”
- said the duck 鸭妈妈说,
- “it will not break 它就是不破壳.
- But 不过，just look at all the others 您看看所有其他的小鸭子,
- are they not the prettiest little ducklings you ever saw 它们是不是你见过的最漂亮的小鸭子?
- They are the image of their father 他们长得和他们的父亲一个样,
- who is so unkind 孩子它爹真不是个好东西,
- he never comes to see 他瞅都没来瞅一眼.”
- “Let me see the egg 让我来看看那个蛋
- that will not break 那只没有破壳的,”
- said the duck 老鸭子说;
- “I have no doubt 我毫不怀疑
- it is a turkey’s egg 它肯定是只火鸡蛋.
- I was persuaded to hatch some once 以前，有人劝我孵过一些火鸡蛋,
- and after all my care and trouble with the young ones 在对小家伙们呕心沥血好多天之后,
- they were afraid of the water 他们竟然怕水.
- I quacked and clucked 我朝着他们呱呱叫，又咕咕叫,
- but all to no purpose 但一点用都没有.
- I could not get them to venture in 我就是没办法让他们放胆跳到水里.
- Let me look at the egg 让我看看这个蛋.
- Yes 就是嘛, that is a turkey’s egg 那分明是只火鸡蛋;
- take my advice 你听我的劝,
- leave it where it is 把它放在这里别管了
- and teach the other children to swim 去教其他孩子游泳吧.”
- “I think 我想
- I will sit on it a little while longer 我。。。还是再孵一会儿吧,”
- said the duck 鸭妈妈说;
- “as I have sat so long already 我都已经孵这么久了,
- a few days will be nothing 多几天也没关系.”
- “Please yourself 那你好自为之吧,”
- said the old duck 老鸭子说,
- and she went away 然后她就走开了.
- At last 最终
- the large egg 那个大蛋
- broke 破壳了,
- and a young one 一个小生命
- crept forth 爬了出来
- crying “Peep, peep.” 它开始哔哔叫唤,
- It was very large 这家伙怎么长这么大！
- and ugly 还丑了吧唧的.
- The duck stared at it 鸭妈妈盯着他
- and exclaimed 惊得嘴都合不拢,
- “It is very large and not at all like the others 你瞧他这大个子，还一点都不像其他鸭仔仔.
- I wonder 我现在很怀疑
- if it really is a turkey 它是不是真的就是一只火鸡.
- We shall soon find it out , however不过，我们很快就可以知道，
- when we go to the water 我们去水里一趟就知道了.
- It must go in 它必须得下水,
- if I have to push it myself 要是它不下去，我就推他下水.”
- On the next day 第二天
- the weather was delightful 天气很好,
- and the sun shone brightly on the green burdock leaves 阳光照在翠绿的牛蒡叶子上，亮晃晃的,
- so the mother duck 于是鸭妈妈
- took her young brood 带着她的孩子们
- down to the water 走下去，来到水岸边,
- and jumped in 她先跳了下去
- with a splash 水花四溅.
- “Quack, quack,” cried she 她呱呱呱地叫唤着,
- and one after another 一只又一只地
- the little ducklings jumped in小鸭子们 也都跟着跳了进去.
- The water closed over their heads 水把它们的身子和小脑袋都淹没了,
- but they came up again in an instant 但它们很快就冒出了水面,
- and swam about 游来游去
- quite prettily 动作灵活自如
- with their legs paddling under them as easily as possible两只小脚在身子下面划动着, 毫不费力。
- and the ugly duckling 而那只丑小鸭
- was also in the water 也跳到了水里
- swimming with them 和它们一起游着.
- “Oh,” said the mother 鸭妈妈自然自语,
- “that is not a turkey 看来这宝贝并不是一只火鸡嘛;
- how well he uses his legs 你瞧它那双腿，摆动得多棒！
- and how upright he holds himself 还有，你瞧它的小身子，挺得笔直!
- He is my own child 别想歪了，它就是我自己的孩子,
- and he is not so very ugly after all 而且，他也不是很丑嘛，
- if you look at him properly 要是，你换个角度看它的话.
- Quack, quack 呱呱呱! come with me now 现在都跟我来,
- I will take you into grand society 我带你们去见识我们的大社会,
- and introduce you to the farmyard 我要把你们介绍给农庄院子里的其他邻居,
- but you must keep close to me 但是你们可要紧跟着我
- or you may be trodden upon 要不然会被踩到的;
- and, above all 还有，最最要紧的,
- beware of the cat 千万小心那只猫.”
好了，这是《THE UGLY DUCKLING》《丑小鸭》的第二集：耐心而善良的鸭妈妈继续孵蛋
为什么 the duck mother 相信丑小鸭就是她自己的孩子？.
the answer is:
因为 the duck mother 看到丑小鸭可以游泳，她觉得火鸡是不会游泳的，只有鸭子会游泳，那肯定是 her own child了。
Question 2 :
为什么 the duck mother 说她要多花几天时间，把 the largest egg 孵化出来？,
my opinion is:
请问 duck nest 是什么意思？，
I am tired.
See you on next class.